Tuesday, June 22, 2010

My Story

My story begins just over 16years ago when I met the most amazing man on a blind date. We decided to get married, I was just right out of high school. Not only was I getting married to a man but I was also getting married to the military. A few months later we moved to Hawaii. There I decided I wanted to go to college. I started, and did pretty well, much of a surprise to myself. I went diligently for the time we were there. When we were getting a little way out from having to transfer I decided to quit my job so that I could go full time and finish before we left the island. Transfer time came and I decided to follow my husband. I only had 2 classes to go to finish my AA but I figured I would just pick up in Washington, boy was I stupid. (Rule to any councelor seeing a military person, espcially, tell them it is not that easy). I get to Washington and go straight to the college and want to finish my last 2 classes. I don't remember it but I am sure I was laughed at. "What you wont accept any of my credits and YOU WANT ME TO START ALL OVER!!!!!!!" After gaining my composure, I am sure that took a long while, I signed up for my first credit. I did go to class but after sitting in it for a few days decided I could not handle starting over from the beginning so I dropped out of the class or did I just stop going? (I could have really used that little voice to tell me not to be so stupid but even if it was there I didn't listen) Anyway, how ever many years later and 2 kids later we again move to Hawaii where I decide I am going to finish what I started. I head over to the college and go to a councilor and tell them I want to finish my 'last 2 classes'. Darn that person followed me from Washington to Hawaii and was laughing at me, again. Actually the guy was very apologetic and told me that they changed all my classes to 100s and my classes were no longer any good for the AA in accounting and then he said those darn words, "You will have to start over." Do you know when I left Hawaii I was paying $19 a credit and that darn school wanted $100 and I would have to go non stop till we left, taking full semesters and paying over $200 during the summer. Then I started to laugh, I think I might have hit a little hysteria. After some composure I put my tail between my legs and went home. There was hope for me yet. One of the places Jason got one of his degrees from had started a spouses program. After talking to them all my credits were taken in one way or another and books were free and credits were about $69. Doable. So I started. And I finished.

It may have taken me 16years but I finished and darn am I proud of myself :)

What does the future hold for me? Well I will continue being a homeschooling mother to 2 wonderful (crazy, wild) boys and a wife to my wonderful husband. (What about moving onto that bachelors, someday)

4 comments:

  1. So proud and happy for you Jess!! Gives me hope that I will finish one day:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats jessi!!!! I am so proud of you... miss you all...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go.. going back to school and actually finishing this time is a dream for many of us! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congradulations kiddo. We are so very proud of you. Take care of yourself and family. We love you.

    Uncle Bud and Hope.

    ReplyDelete